Sunday, September 11, 2011

So it's been 10 years. . .

I do remember what I was doing, as I would expect most adults do too.

It was a beautiful fall day with the crisp air and bright sunshine.  I was working in Kasson at the daycare and was driving to my very first doctors appointment for Taite's little brother.  Of course I didn't know at the time I was having a boy, but I knew our lives were going to be very different because of our little addition (well, he wasn't so little, but that's not the point here).  My heart was happy and slowly got much heavier and started beating faster as I listened to the radio announce the news about the first plane hitting one of the Twin Towers.  I even remember I was on the street that goes past the swimming pool in Kasson and as I sat at the stop sign on Mantorville Ave, I called my friend, who was the director at the daycare, to turn the radio on ~ there was terrible news!  I was not one to sit in front of the TV and watch others in pain.  I didn't watch the buildings fall knowing their were hundreds or thousands of people in them.  I couldn't.  I don't like to see people suffer.  I don't like being reminded of the horrible people in this world.  Sorry, that's how I am so you can take it or leave it.  I do know, though, that if it's someone I love who is doing the suffering, I'll be there by their side helping them through it.

You know when you are asked sometimes "where do you see yourself in 10 years"?
In college, my answer was "I want a job with flexible hours and I don't have to dress up".
When I got married, it was "happily still married and with a child or two in a nice house".
Now, I don't know.  You see, I've achieved all my "wants" so do I just expand on them?  Or do I not have any goals, just enjoy what I have.  I think I'll just enjoy and love.

What is it I have?
Two wonderful boys who've been amazing!  I couldn't ask for better kids, brothers, friends.  I love their sense of humor (we can all laugh with and at them ~ hey, it keeps them humble!), their ability to get along with almost everyone despite their age (I can't expect them to like the "mean kids"), their caring nature despite being vastly different with it (Bray is more reserved with his caring, Taite wears his heart on his sleeve) and there are too many other characteristics that I can't even list them all.  I had no idea how much I would love being a mom!  Even as my kids get older I think, this can't get any better and yet they continuously surprise me.  I love talking to them.  Weird, huh?  I like their insight, thoughts and comments on things.  They are funny and sometimes surprise me with voicing what I was thinking.  Despite neither one looking like me, they are still a part of me and the best part?  They aren't too old to tell me they love me and give me hugs.

I also have a loving, wonderful husband.  I know I could write something more poetic about him, but I'm not that good at flowery words.  We've had our moments in the last 10 years, but we've pushed through the trying times and have changed, worked through and loved our way over the hurdles and mountains.  I'm not sure if it's normal, but we've had the discussion about divorce, more than once (heck probably more than 10 times), but we've never given up and again, our humor helps us through a lot of things.  Heck, we work together so something is going right!!

One thing that has probably been most important in the success of these previously mentioned things ~ the support of family and friends.  Even if we didn't call on it, we know it's there (and don't get me wrong, we've called on them for help many, many times).  I can't imagine some families who turn their backs on one another and don't speak for years.  I cannot even envision anything that my boys could do that would cause that sort of reaction from me.  I just can't.  So, I thank you for being there for us.  All of you because even if it was just silent from our side, just knowing you were there was help enough!  We are truly blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment