Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It's surreal

There have been many phrases and words to explain it here.
"It's like a war-zone"
"It's just like you see on TV but don't expect to have to experience"
I think it feels like we are preparing for a hurricane except we aren't tracking the progress of a storm, we are waiting for the dams to go.  The only way to share this with you would be through video.  As I type now at midnight, I can still hear trucks running and work being done.  There are back-up beepers and frogs.  It's a weird combination. . .

This wouldn't be happening without record snow falls in the mountains (I'm not even sure which mountains that are being referred to) and the record rainfall in Montana (they normally get 8" per year/season, whatever, they got 10" in 2 days).  We do NOT live in a flood plain and they are referring to this as a 500 year flooding.  How could we not expect it living near a river???  Did you not hear "500 YEAR FLOOD?" (sorry, had to take a little time to vent)

The reason we have time to plan?  It's being controlled by ??? someone, I don't know.  The Army Corps of Engineers?  I'm not sure.  The Wizard of OZ?  Possibly.  Whoever it is is trying to manage the rain water in other parts and runoff from the mountains.  They didn't want to flood New Orleans too badly, so we've come to this point or points of flooding at the dams along the Missouri river.  Mandatory evacuations and war-zone like conditions; that's where we are at.

Helicopters are flying over constantly.  They get the Governors above us to see what damage has been done and what is yet to come.  They are military helicopters to lift 1,000 lb tote bags of sand to speed up the dike building along the river.  And who knows, probably some of them are looky-loos too.  We constantly hear the beeping of vehicles of backing up.  Every once in awhile we hear sirens and that's the scariest.  The dump trucks are flying around.  The kids are still playing and riding bikes, so the sirens are the worst.  The only accident we've been made aware of is the poor guy who was backed over while volunteering to shovel for sand-bagging by a skid loader.  He has 2 broken legs and probably a house to move out.

I can honestly say that if a community was undergoing a situation like this I never have had the desire to drive around and watch people suffer.  Then again, maybe I'm not normal.  I don't like watching the news for the same exact reason.  The looky-loos in the area ruined it for those of us living here.  They slowed the progress of the dump trucks hauling in sand and dirt for the burm/dike/whatever along the river.  They slowed down the residents and the help to get stuff out of here.  And they caused the National Guard to impose the "no one enters the Dunes unless you live here and have ID to prove it".  The help was turned away and the only way they would be let in is if you went to the 4-way stop at the entrance of the Dunes to "claim" your help. 

The non-help people were obvious. . .
Don't have SD plates with '62' on them?  Stay out
Iowa plates on a car that says "Sell4U" and is going 20 mph ~ don't belong here, get out!
Big truck with mud tires and two small children looking out the back window?  Pretty sure you aren't coming to help, please leave.

Surprisingly, the spirits are okay.  It's overwhelming.  Not knowing how far you should prepare.  Not knowing how much water will be in your basement.  Or, will it only be in your basement??  How high should the sandbag wall be?  Will we be out for 2 or 6 months?  What about school starting in the fall?  No one knows!

We've all lost it a time or two.  It could be over a broken curio cabinet, the relief of help coming to your rescue or a spur of the moment purchase gone wrong but I'm pretty sure we are still normal and okay.  Others are dealing with our outbursts and everyone is surviving.  We do grab laughs where we can.  The days are long and the mornings come way too early.  For me, I get up feeling very anxious and by the time we need to go to bed, I'm weary.  The days are stressful and straining on your mind, body and soul. 

Today, Chris said to me "All I want is to see our boys".  That's all that matters.  I am so grateful that they are NOT here and don't have to deal with this.  My mom and dad were planning on taking them for an extended visit and we had no idea how perfect the timing would be.  My children are having a great time and don't have to deal with the stress of seeing us stressed out.  Plus, my parents graciously took the dog too.  We are free to sandbag all day and move things and pack things without having to break up fights and keep 2 boys and a dog happy. 

One thing about the setting here is it really is like you see on TV in the sense that people we didn't know before just show up to help.  Some go door to door to see if anyone needs anything.  Others, moved all their stuff out and are just waiting for the mandatory evacuation so they might as well pitch in.  It's really what counts and helps a ton.

My husband thinks we were crazy for moving here and don't deserve prayers.  I believe that this is no different than a tornado hitting us and PRAY AWAY!  :~)  So far we are okay, but tomorrow is a new day and supposedly there is to be a new announcement:  Mandatory evacuation.  So with that, comes new questions:  Where do we go?  How long do we plan to be away?  Do we split up ~ Chris stay somewhere close and I go to stay with mom and dad and the boys?  I wish someone could tell me all the answers, but I guess since they can't, we will try to "stay calm and carry on" and remember ~ that's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment