Friday, March 9, 2012

Hola

I feel like there have been many things I want to share with you, but as this week has progressed, I think I'm just going to talk about Taite today.  No, I'm not favoring one son over the other (I can share stories with you about Bray too, and maybe I will...it will depend on how long this post takes and if I have the battery life for it) :~)

So.....Taite.....

First off, since you have been with us (probably) for the journey with his ear infections, I'd like to share with you that today he got the all-clear!  His ear is healing and we are only now dealing with allergies.  If I didn't post here about it, you'll have to check out FB hehe. 

So, Taite is getting closer and closer to being a teen.  This scares the crap out of me.  It does, and then it doesn't.  I know him and I don't see how he could turn into a moody, crabby, disagreeable teen, but I'm no expert!!!  hehe

Lately we've seen more and more signs of this change.  He doesn't care to spend as much time with us (if he has a choice).  Usually if Chris and I are "running to town" (I realize how weird this sounds since we live "in" town compared to before, but it's still going "to town" if we shop) Bray is the only one who will tag along with us.  Taite is more content to hang out at home. 

He also will come back with a quick, not so nice comment from time to time, but then he seems to "catch" himself and will correct this reaction.  I like this about him. 

In one of his rare moments the other night, I had a chat with him while I made supper.  (side note:  I made him shut off his train or video game downstairs and made him come upstairs and then I guilted him into keeping me company while I cooked ~ he's such a good boy!)  In this conversation, we got to talking about who he sees/hangs out with during lunch/recess since this is the only time during the day that the kids get to choose what they do.  It surprised and saddened me (at first) to hear who he sat with at lunch.  I was surprised because one of the boys I had never heard of before and it made me sad because his other maybe "cooler" friends weren't on the list anymore.  Instead there was one tried & true friend, a couple of new friends and Taite.  After I thought about it, it made sense.  The other group of boys who Taite had been recent friends with had kind of sorted themselves into the "girl lovers" we will call them.  They were the ones who were ALWAYS with their cell phones, texting girls and trying to get outside activities scheduled with these girls.  That's not Taite and believe me, Chris and I are OK with that!  So, I was okay with these new groupings.  I was never the popular girl, I wasn't the athlete, I wasn't friends with any particular group of girls.  I just was content to be friendly to everyone so I get where Taite is.

To take this even further, a few months ago, Taite's classmate's dad (we'll call him "athlete" boy) approached one of Taite's friends' dad (we'll call him "Taite's friend") about "the good boys".  The "good boys" were Taite and his group of friends and this athlete's dad wanted his son to be influenced a little more by the good kids.  (If this is confusing, just wait until your kids are this age and I think it will make a lot more sense!)  Not so long ago, Taite and one of the "girl lovers" hung out all the time and by all the time, I mean ALL-THE-TIME.  This is one of the reasons why the change in friends was concerning me.  Until tonight.  It seems that Taite is still in demand as one of the good boys.  I cannot stress how happy it makes me that despite the changes his friends have chosen to make, he has stayed true to who he is.  He's still the boy who is nice to everyone (we got home today and the neighbor girls were instantly asking him to play, which he did) and he hasn't changed who he is.  This is what makes me happy.  I'm not afraid of the teen years (yet) and I'm o-so-proud of him.  I thank the Lord everyday for our success so far with this boy of mine. 

This reminds me of the country song "He's Mine" which isn't completely descriptive of Taite, but the way the dad feels about his son is exactly how I feel.  I want to yell "He's Mine!" to everyone I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment