Really? Has it been over a year since my last post? Maybe I have been blogging in my head only. Did you get to read those? What did you think? :)
I am amazed.
I don't know what else to say about this.
I know that we have good kids.
I think I'm a good mom and Chris is a good dad.
Yet, I am still thrilled, happy, amazed when I hear of good things about my boys.
Today it was Taite's story about what happened at school in phy ed. I didn't hear the whole story, but here is what I gathered: they are working on basketball. Since in 7th grade, they only have phy ed for 1 quarter (yes, a total of 6 weeks or whatever of the whole school year) they move through multiple sports rather quickly. Up to this point, they've done their cup stacking, baseball, etc., all of which Taite is not great at. There was one student who felt it was his job to constantly remind Taite that he was lacking in the skills for these other sports, especially baseball. We didn't learn of this until the said student also did something hurtful towards one of Taite's friends and then that was too much. With the pain caused to his friend, Taite was able to share with us his heartbreak over what the other kid had said to him and called him in phy ed.
To me this is all important in the story I am sharing because today the roles were different. You see, Taite has practiced, practiced, practiced basketball. It all started last summer with basketball skills camp. Each day, they had homework and Taite took that as seriously as he does any "real" homework he gets at school! He spent hours shooting hoops in the sun sweating it up! And he improved. He's since practiced every chance he gets and he's recently been using his moves to compete against the skills coach he goes to most Monday and Thursday nights (and has won against him the last two times). I don't know if his coach is being soft on him or not, but Taite is getting good....
Back to today....from what I gathered, the students are playing 2-on-2 or 4-on-4 basketball games. Taite decided to help a student in his class who doesn't play basketball. I'm not sure this student plays any sports (but I could be wrong). To describe him, think brainyack with glasses. The dad from Back to the Future. Highly intelligent, but reserved. Taite helped him with his form for shooting, kept working him the ball so he even scored in the game and Taite said he then played defense too by helping to double-team with Taite (must've been more than 2-on-2)! In my head, I envision Taite giving him the skills and help to have small successes and those successes lead to him having some confidence in playing the game, so he worked at his defense as well! I'm not sure I have that all right, but it sounds good and makes me proud nonetheless!
BUT WAIT, I'm not done! Taite said that after class, a teacher (he wasn't even sure who she was) pulled him aside and thanked him. She explained that the student he helped has anxiety issues and with Taite giving him the attention and help he needed, made him feel more comfortable. Doesn't that just bring tears to your eyes? That's our Taite.
I wish he would rub off on his little brother just a smidge since he is struggling with baseball and currently believes he's the "worst ever". We're hoping it's just a slump he's in, but I sure wish someone would take him aside and give him a little more confidence because what we are doing isn't working....
Banana Split Pudding Cups
2 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment