Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

I found this recipe online (not sure how I stumbled upon it) but thought it sounded good and liked even better that it didn't have a bunch of dairy in it to make it "creamy" (Chris can't eat much dairy). It's listed as a healthy twist on Wild Rice soups (we have plenty of those non-healthy versions in our recipe box too!) and it helps you use up the turkey that is cluttering up your fridge right now.

I, of course, added my signature white wine while cooking the veggies (the 1 Tbsp of olive oil simply didn't look like enough!) and we all thought it was PERFECT-O!! I used a dryer white wine we discovered on Friday ~ the legendary black box refrigerator wine :~) I had read on a blog somewhere (I know ~ shocking) that the person swore by their Black Box wine. So, we decided we had a $20 burning a hole in our pocket and it's not bad! We got the white, but I don't recall what variety it is ~ Chardonnay? Anyway, Chris said it tastes just like the Kendall Jackson Chardonnay they always drink when the Japanese are over here. Not too shabby ~ our box wine is equivalent to 4 bottles of wine and if you can find it on sale, the KJ sells for $13 or so a bottle.

Getting back to the recipe, Chris and I love mushrooms, so we just got a package of sliced shrooms and used the whole thing ~ didn't measure. Then to our delight we learn that the boys now, too, like mushrooms!! Proof that if you keep serving them in what you are cooking, they will get over complaining and will acquire a taste for them!!

Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment