Friday, April 22, 2011

My Cup Runneth Over. . .

Tonight I am struck by the overwhelming feeling of "blessings".  I know that shouldn't really be a feeling.  I was reading my SIL's blog and was relieved  not surprised to find I'm not the only one who feels that at some point my blessings will come to an end.  Like when I've had too much "good stuff" come my way.  In reality though, you can't tell me you haven't thought of that!  In fact, my husband has lived with this weight on his shoulders for years.  It all began when his mom got sick with cancer when he was a 9th grader and was told "if you go to church, your mom will get better".  What a horrible thing to tell someone whose loved one is sick?  We don't have control of that!  I digress. . .

We are blessed.  I have no other way to describe us.  We have a beautiful house, a couple jobs, great, healthy kids, a loving family and a fabulous marriage.  Why???  Why are we so blessed and others struggle?  Are unemployed?  Spend hours and days in the hospital with their sick children?  Can't find a partner in life?  It just doesn't seem fair.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that I want my situation to change.  I would rather like others to be as blessed as we are.  I don't know the answer to this.  Well, I do have a thought ~ our success (financially and emotionally mostly goes to my husband who refuses to fail. . . at anything). 

Tonight, in particular, there are a few things that remind me of our blessings. 
This afternoon, the boys spent outside playing with friends & neighbors.  They shot hoops, played a football style game with the basketball and just got along (a 6th grader, 5th grader and 2 x 3rd graders).  ***sigh***
Brayton has his best friend staying overnight and he couldn't have a better buddy.  We shared good laughs and he recommended the movie we watched tonight.  ***sigh***
We are able to go out to eat as a treat and even get dessert (the mini blizzards at DQ are the perfect size) :~)
I know none of these seem like much, but I'm reluctant to take any of these for granted. 

I also received a letter from my grandma today.  We can actually feel the love she sends our way in her letters.  To know that love is there, despite our lack of regular calls or letters, is heartwarming.  (yep, brings tears to my eyes too)

It's one of those times when I just want to freeze it so I can revisit it with the other times in my life I've felt this very same way.  Wouldn't you like to as well?  I'd love to compare them.  What's changed?  What's the same?  Do my more recent "perfect moments" out perform the prior?  Just a thought. 

On the same note, last weekend we watched Get Low, the movie.  Brayton didn't like it, but the rest of us did and I highly recommend it.  There were some funny parts, but best of all, it had a great story. 

So, anyway, enough reflective stuff, I'm tired and have a big day of flooring shopping tomorrow.  Love you, sweet dreams and I pray you have a cup that runneth over.

2 comments:

  1. what a lovely post:) thanks for sharing your moment of gratitude for your blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ericka! I feel that none of my posts will ever come close to being as poetic and as well written as yours are, but I still feel the need to express things. I believe you also said in one or your posts ~ it's theraputic. Until someone blogs, I don't think they understand how good it feels to just "say it". :) Have a very happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete