Monday, January 9, 2012

I did something today that I don't normally do.  When asked the question 'would I like help out with my things', I said 'yes'.  It was at Staples and I'd bought 2 reams of paper (they were on sale) and in order to get the to the van, I needed to use the cart.  From previous experience, I knew how difficult it would be to get the cases of paper OUT of the cart, so instead of my usual "no, I can handle it", I said yes.  The world didn't quiver a little, the clerk didn't scoff at me, nothing dramatic happened.  Hmm, maybe being so independent with everything isn't so important.  I might have to try accepting offers of help more often.  Too bad no offers come when it's time to clean the bathrooms. . .

Last week I saw a posting on FB and it referenced the first weekend after the holiday season.  It sounded so good, yet we had a very busy day planned for Saturday and it was as busy, if not more, than scheduled.  Saturday was the day the boys both were in a basketball tournament at Dakota Valley (where they go to school) with each team guaranteed 3 games and Chris coaches both boys' teams.  You guessed it, very, very busy day, but I digress. . . You see, on Friday, I had grandiose plans to accomplish a lot of cooking of food, cleaning and grocery shopping to do (I literally have been meaning to get a full list of groceries bought for like a week, I swear!).  Well mid-way through the day, Chris added jeans shopping for him to the list.  This cancelled out any grocery shopping I thought I'd get done and that slowed some of the cooking wayyyy down.  Basically on Friday I made wild rice in the crock pot (to freeze for later use) and mixed up bread (I had to put it in the fridge for baking at a later time).

Friday night we had dinner with 3 other couples.  It was a very good time and when we were asked to one of the couples' house after dinner, we couldn't say 'no'.  So, I didn't get to bed until 11:50 pm ~ not what I was hoping for to start our busy Saturday = little sleep.

Chris was up at 6 on Saturday ~ also not what I was expecting.  But, when he doesn't sleep well, it's usually an early morning.  Bray's first game was at 9.  Chris and Bray were at the school by 8 and I barely got the bread made into rolls, cookies baked (they were having a bake sale since the BB tourney was at Dakota Valley), showered & ready for the day, started the clam chowder and drove to the school before 9 (in fact, it was like exactly 9 when I walked in the door). 


Game 1 was a close one, but Bray's team ended up losing by 5, if I remember correctly.  Immediately after the game was done, I was out the door again.  I was going to finish the clam chowder only to realize that I still hadn't made it to the grocery store and didn't have butter to finish it up.  I guess it will have to wait.  Then I thought I need to package up the cookies to take to the bake sale.  What?!  No sandwich bags?  Add that to the list.  I cleaned up the kitchen instead and zipped over to the store before getting back to the school for the next game which was at 11 (yes, I only had 1 hour in-between games). 

Game 2 was another loss, but it was more like 8 or 9 points they lost by.  This loss was to a team that they'd played 2 times already this year and beat both times.  After the game, Chris was talking to the coach and he said his 3 "worst" players (coaches' words, not mine) were not there on Saturday, so he didn't have to rotate them in during the game.  One nice thing was that he told Bray that they had him so closely defended because in the previous games, he scored about 10 points each and they weren't going to let that happen again.  This time at home, I scarfed down some leftovers for lunch, packaged up the cookies, finished the clam chowder and shuffled some crock pot food around so I could have it cooking when I was gone.  As I was finishing up, Chris called me.  He wanted to let me know that the 3rd game was at another school and to let me know that he was approached by a crying mother because her son didn't get enough playing time.  Chris was so upset, he was going to give the other team the 3rd game.  He was very aware that her son and a couple other boys didn't get as much playing time, but it was in a tournament and he had reasons:
1.  The first games win or loss determined if you were in the "winner's" bracket or the "loser's" bracket of the tourney.  They ended up being in the "loser's" side.
2.  The 2nd game was against a team they'd beaten before so he was sure they could do it again.
3.  If they lost the 2nd game, they would be playing for 7th or 8th place in the tournament against the only 3rd grade team that signed up in the 4th grade bracket. 

Those boys got all the playing time they wanted in that 3rd game and the others who were sitting the bench repeatedly asked why they didn't get to play yet.  Chris explained that they were evening up playing time to those on the bench, but he was biting his cheek the whole time.  Brayton didn't play until the 3rd period and he was only in a few minutes when the one kid elbowed (yes, threw an elbow as Bray went up to the basket with the ball) into his right temple.  Bray had visible pinpoint spots from where the kid's elbow hit, but the ref didn't call anything and he never stopped the game either so Bray could leave. . . I wasn't happy.  Anyway, they won the final game and I don't have a clue what the score was.  I was still upset by the complaint from a parent.  It wasn't that she complained, it was that no one wants to volunteer for a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g!  For every game during the week in the league they play in, we have to have one parent run the clock or the score board.  Not both, just one because the other team will get a volunteer to do the other job.  Chris has the worst time getting volunteers.  It's not that the parents aren't there, they are, they just refuse to help.  Nor does Chris have an assistant coach or anyone sitting the bench.  I didn't understand how important this is until he was trying to coach one time while cleaning up spilled Gatorade from one of the players and subbing in new players.  I guess I could sit the bench since I don't normally get to chat with friends anyway.  After the tournament, we found out that the organization that provides the sports opportunity for our boys said the 4th grade parents are the WORST for volunteering!  Great.  I think it's part of our duty as parents, but apparently, everyone else thinks the money you pay for organized sports gets you out of volunteering.  I wonder if they are that lazy at work. . .

I digress (sorry about the last paragraph!), after the 3rd game, I was NOT going home ~ yea.  hehe  Bray and I drove to the other school again to prepare for Taite's first game (yep, we are only 1/2 way through the tournament at this point).  Taite's first game was against a "stacked" team.  The school has 2 6th grade teams and they combined those teams to take the top 8 or 10 to play in this tournament.  We were nervous, but the guy who organized the whole tournament said we would compete nicely against the West team.  They did win the 1st game and I don't even know what the score was (by this point, I'm kind of getting tired).  I did go home after this game because I needed to stir the soups I had in the crock pots (one was bean/ham that I made on Friday, but it wasn't very good and the other was the clam chowder).  The soups were both hot, so I packaged up the crocks, bread and cookies (I had still forgotten to take these to the bake sale and by this time I could see they had plenty to sell, so I planned on keeping the cookies) because another idea I had was to have supper with the Poulsen's at their house and I'd bring the food. 

You may have to click on this one to see what is so funny, but Chris' face is hilarious!  I have no idea what he was looking at, but I'm finding that one of my favorite things with my new camera is capturing things like this :~)
 This is a reason Chris likes the new camera.  Terrible free throw form, right here. . .

 In this picture I was like WTHeck. . . why would Taite just be standing there?!  Then it occurred to me, he's not being polite or prim/proper, he's setting a screen.  LOL

The 2nd game for Taite's team was against another local team that they had lost to last year by 3 points.  The team last year was not as good as this one (I didn't think, but I could be wrong) and so I had confidence.  Well, what I had in confidence, the boys lost in energy.  Holy crap they were slow and flat!  They were behind by 11 at one point in the game, but came back.  At the end of the 3rd period, I bought Taite a Coke (not diet) just to give him some caffeine and sugar!  Man, that kid needed something!  Then guess what. . . . yes!  He spilled it!  UGH, so the only thing I could find in his bag to clean it up was a dirty sock.  Not a good idea.  Anyway, they ended up losing this game by 1.  Taite's friend Zack made a bucket with 1.3 seconds left in the game, but it didn't count because he travelled before he took the shot.  It was a tough loss.

In between games 2 & 3, was my time to volunteer at the concession stand.  I ended up handling the money and Bray & 2 friends were my "helpers".  One just stood near the table and tried to boss and the other was working on his manners.  "Have a nice day, ma'am", "Have a nice day, sir" were just some of the greetings.  He is really a card and it made the time very enjoyable.  I really wish I'd have known when I was in college how much I enjoy kids.

Game 3 started a few minutes early and it was a team that we had beaten before a couple times, so we kind of knew the outcome.  They won.  Easily.  We should've been in the other gym playing for 1st or 2nd.  This is a picture of the 3rd place team coached by Chris:

Today an email was sent out asking for any feedback on the tournament from Saturday.  It's a link to click on and you leave your comments anonymously.  This comment was forwarded to Chris by the tournament coordinator:
This is a great program, but it's all about the coach. Heinz is probably the best coach our son has had (plays BB, FB and Baseball). He has also had some great coaching in PP FB, but our other son has had some really negative coaching in PP FB this last season, but great in past seasons. The coach makes all the difference. They MUST be positive with kids or they learn to dislike playing the game, teach the kids, demand good sportsmanship and treat all fairly. Good refs make a huge difference too. Glad you hired refs for the tournament; consistent calls are critical or kids don't understand/learn. Our son would benefit from more tournaments and games, but it would be really tough for us as a family to do more. Might (?) help B team if they could practice w/ A team occasionally.

Chris' first reaction was to think that I had left the comment, but then he said I'm usually the one heckling the refs, so he ruled me out.  It's nice to receive comments like this because it doesn't hurt to hear positive feedback once in awhile.  Except, tonight Chris said one of the parents from the 6th 'A' team sent him an email that said he'd heard Chris was doing a great job with the 6th grade 'B' team and to keep up the good work!  Wow ~ such kind words when he really needed them!  Unless you are undefeated, I don't know when a coach would feel he's doing a great job so it's nice to hear kind words from others.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, you can post your pictures bigger. After you add them to the post click on them. It will say small medium large and Xlarge or remove. I always pick large because Xlarge is too big. Give it a try on your next post. You can also go back and resize these too.

    ReplyDelete