After I had thought about the title of this post, it occurred to me that we (in our house) have more than one secret. Well, maybe some may not qualify as an actual secret and no, we are NOT expecting. :~)
I'll start with the easy one and if you've spoken to either Chris or I, you've probably already figured it out. We are really looking forward to the basketball season being over. Coaching has lost it's fun except to see the improvement for those who really want to improve and let me tell you, those numbers are very, very low. Brayton has the drive, so he constantly has a ball in his hand. Dribbling, ball handling, shooting and he takes it all very seriously. So much so that he still has confidence that his team can beat the Honey Badgers tonight, despite the 4th grade 'A' team losing to this very same team last weekend. His comment? "That doesn't matter, mom! We just have to play harder." So proud of his attitude, which he has also been working on this past season. It's truly amazing the turn-around he's had with his attitude and you know what? All we had to do was demand, as his parents, that he "fix" it. No more pouting, whining, crying, etc. And he did! I'm sorry to be going down another road, but that just brought up another thought for this blog, but I'll go back to it later. Taite, on the other hand, has never had a bad attitude and has also improved immensely. He is aggressive under the basket and usually ends up on the floor at some point during the game. (I guess Bray does too for that matter ~ there is always one dad who comes up after Bray's games and comments about him being on the floor and he LOVES that he's so into the game. . . . I only pray every time he went down that he didn't hurt his wrist during his fall). The only difference is that Taite will usually pick up a game controller or his Fire before he would be working with a basketball. We are already planning on working on just skills this summer with both of them and that is a lot less stress than dealing with kids calling Chris a "mean coach", lying to his face or staring at him with a blank stare right before he has to sub them in during a game. . .
The main reason for this post is to ask for a prayer. I'm sure we are not needing it, but then there is the little niggle of doubt. Chris has been taking Albuterol so he can breathe when he plays basketball and sometimes even just to breathe. That's not so unusual, but he said it's only on his right side. It could be asthma, but why only on the right side? I've been dismissing this whenever he talks about it and he finally made an appt with a lung Dr (not sure what they are called) and that appt is today at 3, but Chris is worried. I know, this isn't new, but he's worried because he isn't too much younger than his mom was when she was diagnosed with lung cancer. That's his fear. That's why he thinks it's only on the right side of his lungs. That's why I'm going with him today. For support and to say "I told you it was nothing", just praying that I will be able to throw that out at him. . .
This reminds me of my new favorite quote:
(I can't remember all of it or who said it, but this is the gist of it)
The reason we struggle with insecurities is because we are comparing our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel. So all might seem great and fine on the outside...
Back to that other thought I wanted to share with you from above. The other day I was discussing with another mom how most kids (it seems) have not been told the word "no" ~ I happen to be able to list a few families/kids who are not..... Anyway, this other mom said "Parents don't want to parent" ~ OMG, total light-bulb moment! YES, that is what it is!!!! Saying the word "no" to your kids would force those to parent and not be an adult friend to their kids! I honestly cringe when I think about what these kids will be like as adults. Seriously. I could go on & on about this one, but I won't. I just wanted to share her insight with you and how fabulously it described what is happening all around us. :~)
Banana Split Pudding Cups
2 months ago

Okay...so how did it go????
ReplyDelete