Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thank you

Well, I didn't do as promised, I didn't take any new pictures of the house.  I will try to describe what I remember and you can visualize it.  But first I want to thank you.

Thank you to my friends who have been as excited for us as we have been in getting out move completed.

Thank you for the encouraging words and support you've given us.

Thank you for being understanding in my lack of getting things done that I said I would. 

Thank you for being a friend.  Because even though we are moving away, you don't let that stop you from doing your "job".  Your support truly is priceless to me!  I love you!

We came back home on Tuesday because we had closing papers to sign Wednesday morning at the title company so we don't have to be present for the closing on our house.  We started moving stuff out of the basement last night and it was HEAVY!  I tried to talk Chris into letting me drive the van around, but he wasn't crazy about that idea so we carried, pushed and pulled things up and around the house.  The heaviest was the treadmill, but at least it had wheels on the front so Chris pulled and I pushed, or tried to push.  He thought I was leaning more than anything. LOL  We are going to try and sell the sectional and entertainment center on Craigslist.  If they don't sell, we'll take them along!  Our only reservation is that in the new house, we don't want to fill the basement only to have to move it all when we start finishing it!

The boys got to spend the day at Grandma & Grandpa's yesterday.  They saw all their cousins and Great-Grandma in that time, had a fire and cooked wieners and then stayed over night.  Brayton made my mom and dad a card yesterday morning and I'm sure it probably wasn't easy to read for them, but he is such a caring person.  Not that Taite isn't, don't get me wrong!  Bray is always concerned with those who are closest to him ~ are they okay? 

Well, enough with the depressing stuff, here is exciting info!  Remember how I said that the new house is like our dream house (well, kind of) except we didn't have to build it?  I'll try to remember things as I would if I were walking through the house. . .
The ceilings on the main are 11' high!  Brayton loves this (he walks around looking up, so far, no casualties) ~ Chris is worried about heating the house :D  The nice thing about living in the Dunes is that it's co-founded by some power company so the electricity is something like $.07/kwh and if you have electric heat, in the winter, it goes down to $.04 if your bill goes over $100 or something like that!  Moral of the story ~ it's cheap!  This house has a heat pump, so hopefully that will help with heating it in the winter. 

In the laundry room, I'm getting front load washer & dryer!  They aren't any fancy color or anything because we were not paying $100 for the color / piece!  They aren't the kind Kelly Ripa has either because those are even more expensive.  We ordered all our appliances from the place that everyone in town told us had the best service and they only carried GE.  Our lawn mower cash will go to pay for the 2nd half of the appliances. :D

The flooring in the main is a hardwood ~ white oak.  The builder is in love with it and I've seen it in other homes he's done and it's very beautiful!  We are going with a natural color and it will have a water based finish so it won't yellow over time and the sun won't change it's coloring.  I think it has more variations in the natural color of the wood than red oak has, but I could be remembering incorrectly.  Only the bedrooms, bathrooms and laundry room will not have this hardwood on the floor.

The railing for the steps is stained a darker oak and the spindles will be white.  The carpet on the steps will match what is in the bedrooms.  It's called an almond color and it went the best with the walls which are kind of a neutral tan with a hint of gold in it.

The living/great room has a granite surround that matches the counter tops in the kitchen and baths.  Around that, there is a beautiful wood piece and nice big mantle.  This wood is stained the same color to match the railing on the steps.  On either side of the TV/fireplace, above built in cabinets, are two very large cut-outs with arched tops (also built-in).  I have no idea what I am going to put in there!  Of course I didn't measure so that will have to wait until we move in.  Above those cut-outs are shelves that have outlets on them, so I'm sure they are switched and will be very pretty to accent up there!

The kitchen:
Black granite counter tops
I can't remember what kind of wood the cabinets are made from, but it's not oak ~ they are also beautiful!
Touch to turn on faucet.  R/O drinking water faucet
French door, freezer on the bottom and water/ice in the door fridge (stainless)
Dishwasher has option so I can put a whole bottle of liquid detergent in it and based on the prewash, it will dispense the correct amount of soap needed!
The oven is a dual oven (don't need the toaster oven anymore ~ I would sell it, but it's already in the storage unit in N. Sioux) so the top is narrower and the bottom is the big oven.  There isn't a storage drawer, but I don't think I'll miss that because mine is always off the track and pushes in crooked!
The microwave is a convection cook and regular microwave all in one or has some new technology for how it cooks.  We can put frozen cookie dough balls in it and have fresh baked cookies in 7 or 11 minutes, I can't remember!  So exciting!!
The bar can easily fit 7 people around it, but I'm hoping if I find a square stool, we could get 8 ~ for whatever reason, I want an even number! LOL  The stools we have been using downstairs for tables next to the couch would be perfect, except we only have 2 and I bought them from someone on CL like 2-3 years ago!!

We have a walk-in pantry that I can't tell you how excite I am about it!!!  We are even a little more excited about the built-in desk area!  It even has the spot for the hanging files in it!  Tom picked up a chair for this desk (long story!) and it's a patterned deep chocolate fabric with dark legs ~ it will be sooo pretty!

Our bedroom has a trayed ceiling and three kind of tall and narrow windows.  The bath has two sink areas (that will be weird for Chris and I not to have to wait for the other at the sink) and a corner, jetted tub.  After moving things, I think we'll get our use out of it!!  The shower will have glass doors (so much for using the new shower curtain I bought for staging. . . guess I'll hang onto it until we finish the bath downstairs) that slide, so the water doesn't run on the floor from a swinging shower door (I'd never thought of that, but the sales lady pointed out that advantage to sliders).  The toilet is it's own little room.  Our walk-in closet is about 2-3 times bigger than what we have now!

Our doors are going to be solid 2 panel (I think) white painted doors as the trim is also white.  We have all (except for the kitchen) brushed looking bronze for the faucets.  The door handles, pulls on the cabinets and light fixtures and ceiling fans (I do have pics of those) are also the bronze color.  This is the fan in the living/great room.  There is crown molding too ~ forgot about that.  In this picture, you can see there are 2 lights that you can angle towards a picture if you choose to not put your TV in the cut-out area (we are going to put the TV because it's just like ours now except there isn't the pretty block and the cut-out is for a much larger TV ~ 52"!).  On the right side of the picture, you can see the recessed part of the wall ~ this is the portion where it has switched outlets.

This is our bedroom ceiling fan (I really took these pictures so I'd have an idea when I was looking for hardware, but I feel like I'm depriving you if I don't show pictures of something).  It also has crown molding in the trayed ceiling too ~ I forgot about that!  In some of the houses we looked at, they had double trayed ceilings and then had lighting up in the lips of both trays so it was very pretty soft lighting when needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment