I thought I had this new editor all figured out on Blogspot, but I don't. The pictures upload much faster, but I can't get them situated like I want. So, you'll have to bear with me. Here is a picture of the fire pit in the making. Packed all the sand, started laying the first layer of retaining wall and am putting plastic down to go behind the block.
This picture is supposed to be 2nd to last ~ it's how the fire pit after yesterday ~ all of the whole block that we could lay (that was finished up as the sun was setting ~ you can see from the darkness of the picture).
This is a picture of where all the sand came from for under the pavers and wall ~ yes, we have our own little sand pit here. Chris just dug a hole in the SE corner of our lot and if we sifted this a little, it would be perfect sandbox sand ~ NO KIDDING!!! Oh, and that is Brayton running beside the tractor ~ he raced it back and forth most of the time (well, when he wasn't playing soccer with Taite~ that's what the cones are for that you see)
This is before all the sand was brought in.
The beginning of the sand being brought in. Chris wanted us to rake out the sand and pick up any bigger stones ~ um, don't we have a tractor that could spread out all of this sand???
Chris used the tractor to pack down the sand. I'm not sure how many times he went over the same spot, but it did a pretty good job. I have no idea why this picture was taken ~ I had 2 better pictures of the packing of the sand, but twice when I tried to remove this picture, it deleted the pictures I wanted to keep! UGH!
The boys and dog and I tried to say in the shade while we watched Chris. The only shade we have is a tiny cottonwood tree (you might remember it from previous pictures) and we had to sit like this just to keep our faces in the shade! LOL

More packing of the sand.
More racing ~ this time the dog joined in!
So the moral of this posting is that you can do a circular fire pit area, but we don't recommend it ~ especially if you like being married :D I think it looks great ~ Chris is more picky about the levelness of it, but if you fall down, it's probably because you had one too many, not because there is 1/8" difference in one paver to the next! LOL There will definitely be enough room around this fire as we had originally measured that we thought 16' across would be enough and it ended up being 18' or something close to that! In fact, I had to make a quick run to Menard's this morning to get 6 more pavers and 3 more bags of sand. I would NOT recommend wearing your son's flip flops for this sort of run. Those damn flatbed things are difficult to maneuver when you have that much weight on them and are wearing flip flops! (3 bags of sand @ 50 lbs each and 6 pavers at 42 lbs each) I didn't wipe out, but thought I was hearing voices when I was at the truck loading them and heard "Do you want some help" I looked up at the sky as if an angel was speaking, but no, it was a shaggy haired-Menard's employee, but I accepted his help!!

haha! Mike said the 1/8th inch would drive him crazy too Chris! We would love to come out and see it first hand! ;-) Will Chris let him being that Duke is the NCAA champions??? I promise I won't let him wear the sweatshirt.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing ~ that we'll have to try it out! We have to get all the sand to go in the cracks ~ so it will have to wait a little while before we can finish the "pit" part :D Mike might be okay to wear his sweatshirt, but if he had a different one, might want to wear it LOL
ReplyDelete