Friday, February 12, 2010

Early start to a busy day

So, I'm sitting here with my 1/2 cup of coffee (bottom of the pot) waiting for 6:30 to wake the boys up. I've already vacuumed and wiped down the floor mats in the van. How did I get that done already, you ask? Well for some unknown reason (unknown because my husband isn't up yet) Chris turned on the light above our bed at approximately 4:16. He immediately shut it off, got up, went to the bathroom and went back to sleep. Well, there is something about a bright light flashing in my eyes that kind of wakes me up. . . :~)

Cleaning the van was the only thing I could figure out that would be productive and not wake anyone (besides researching how to free-hand quilt my projects ~ still stumps me even with Internet research. . .). As I was cleaning, I was thinking about something to post on here to see if anyone else had the same thought/question. You know the Hyundai Superbowl commercial ~ the one with all the stuffed animals going to night clubs and doing "human" things? I don't get it. At the end of the commercial, it is shown that these are really big images of the child's toys in the backseat, but still. Is the Hyundai so fun that the toys feel like adults? Because you know the kids aren't going to the night clubs and taking the toys with them. Or, did the mom have them in her purse when she went to the nightclub? All Chris said about it was " you can tell Koreans made the commercial" (not necessarily so, but I didn't feel the need to point that out).

Last night we had Brayton's 2nd and final conference at school. It was MUCH better than the 1st one (refresh: last time he was having behavioral issues and after seeing how the one girl spoke to him when I was in the classroom, standing right there, I was surprised there weren't more reports of him saying inappropriate things!) and she even called him a "sponge". He wants to learn, likes to learn and has study skills that will be needed as he gets older! WOW!! We commented on the report he brought home and she told us that was NOT done in class, but rather in the special reading groups. The school does and EXCELLENT job of helping those kids who need it and challenging those who need more. For reading, they divide the whole grade into groups based on their reading levels and teachers, paras and moms help with these groups I believe multiple times during the week. Brayton is in the highest group possible and it was in this group that he did the report on Bats. We're talking note cards, outline, possible questions to answer and the final report he brought home! In 2nd grade! She also told us that he's in this group of about 16 kids (there are roughly 130 in his grade) at the highest level because of his work ethic. They get to their classrooms, go to the desk, are focused and self-motivated to get started on the project they need to do. I was surprised to hear her say that the group below this one is where the teacher wanders around the room and is guiding the class more ~ Bray's group, they are given the assignment and the kids all work on their own. She also said (while smiling) that Brayton is very easy to read ~ if he is stumped on something, his face reflects his confusion, but he works at it on his own before asking questions.

Now if only Taite could "get" some of these study habits. His conference was a lot about what it's going to be like in Middle School and she said he needs to work on perfecting, or rather, just starting some study habits. I think it's so funny that Taite's teacher is one of the fastest talkers I know (sometimes you can see her mouth isn't moving as fast as her brain) is :~) and her conferences are 1/2 hour long, but the other classrooms have 15 minute conferences. She goes through a lot of stuff in that 1/2 hour too! Well, this last time most of it was spent with her in awe at Taite. She had never seen him not really talk back (not to be confused with Talk Black ~ LOL ~ watch Modern Family???) but just be Taite as we know him! Argumentative and sassy. He must be really good in school because most times we can't tell him anything without him trying to negotiate something in his favor. LOL He's our Taite :~) I did have to tell his teacher about the day he came home and said Mrs. Fuchsteiner hugged him and she was like hugging a "brick"! She told us that Mrs. F's favorite student is Taite and she wants him to be a scientist, not a police officer ~ she's even warning him that his mom and wife will be very worried about him if he becomes a P.O.! Like he's concerned about that! He's still clueless! Yesterday in the mail he received a "special Valentine" from the one girl in his class who absolutely LOVES him. I'm not exaggerating either. That's what this card said all over it ~ "I LOVE YOU!" I really like Carlie and her mom, but I'm sure Taite will break her heart in his cluelessness * * * sigh * * *

OH, on a WONDERFUL note ~ my grandpa is well enough to leave Mayo today and go to a nursing home as he finishes up his healing and physical therapy!!! Not too shabby for almost being dead 2 weeks ago!!! Yesterday my uncle told one of the nurses to go wake him up so they could visit him and she told my uncle "you go wake him up and listen to those words" LOL ~ yep, he's feeling better!! Thank God and thank you for any prayers you sent his way on my grandpa's behalf!!!

Well, I'm off to get the kids up and start my day! From 11-2:40, I'm at the school ~ much to Chris' dismay he'll be in the office all day by himself. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment