Friday, February 19, 2010

We can go to the quilt shops now. . .

It was on Monday that my mom called to see if I wanted to go to a couple of quilt shops. We have finally finished up the one quilt block of the month at one (that I hated) and had signed up for another quilt block of the month at another (really fun!) and could pick up our next month's instructions for the new one. That was the day Grandpa was supposed to be transported to a nursing home for finishing his recovery. My mom said she felt so bad for him because he was so scared. Only when they would remind him that it was temporary would he feel better about it. Mom called that day to tell me that we wouldn't be going anywhere and they were moving Grandpa back to the ICU instead of a nursing home. Tuesday is the day we got the call that they were removing all of his medications and only giving him morphine. Yesterday he was giving a continual drip of morphine and last night was when the call came in that he had passed away. I happened to be at my mom & dad's house when my uncle, Gary, called. After Chris stayed with Grandpa on Tuesday night, Gary had with him Wednesday night and again last night, but around 10, Grandpa was gone. I must say that I am sad to see him go, but I would rather have it be this way than living in a nursing home for a long time and not recovering. I do know one thing; my mom is a rock. I know she needs a hug now and then, but her house has kind of been the cornerstone for when her family has been over here seeing Grandpa and she's been dealing with that along with her dad dying. I offered our rooms and space up to everyone, but had no takers. In my opinion, her strength has far surpassed anyone elses' and I'm thankful that my dad has been right by her side this whole time. This seems like it has been a long time of ups and downs, but no one has felt like that more than my mom, I think. I was at the hospital yesterday and grateful for Grandpa's peacefulness. He wasn't struggling and looked like he was just in a peaceful sleep. I'm also grateful that someone was there with him when he left us. Chris was most concerned about this after having been with his mom when she passed. She opened her eyes, looked right at Ken and then passed away. One thing I've decided in this is that if Chris or the boys are ever in this situation, I will not be able to stop myself from moving tubes and such so I can curl up next to them on the bed. It's so difficult to look at them laying in a cold bed all alone, you know?

Yesterday Brayton got his "appliance" put in. I already hate having to be the one to "turn the key". We've also got to work on Brayton being able to clean out between the appliance and the roof of his mouth by himself. Last night it took him 45 minutes to eat supper because he would take a bite and then clean the food out of his mouth. Then we spent about another 20 minutes brushing it and cleaning the food out even further! I have no idea how this will work when he's at school. I am taking his lunch to him today until we figure out the food removal process (he'll be eating tomato soup, yogurt & a smoothie!). When I brought him home last night, he wanted to go to the office to play in the snow. I didn't think anything of it and I should've reminded him of the dangers of the icicles hanging off of Grandma's house. Here's a picture of the first one he brought ~ he called it his weapon and when he walked with it, it was parallel to the ground and he crouched down like he was hunting for something.

When I was ready to come home for supper, I yelled and yelled for him, but no response. I HATE that when we can't find them over there. Especially since the snow will fall off the barn roof in big avalanches and if we didn't happen to notice, ugh. . . So, anyway, Brayton came from the south side of Grandma's house carrying a chunk of an icicle about 7-8" in diameter. There is a whole line of huge icicles like that on the southwest corner of her house and if they would've broken off, Grandpa's funeral wouldn't be the only one we had to attend! I chewed him out (because I was scared!!!) and apparently, after I left Chris "reminded" him too that he can't play over there. Apparently he'd forgotten from last year, but I'm thanking the good Lord that Brayton was safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment