Brayton brought home a project on Friday to Disguise a turkey so the turkey can make it through Thanksgiving without being a meal! As a family, we were supposed to be as creative as possible. Bray had the idea he wanted to decorate the turkey as a hunter looking for turkeys. Needless to say, I was all over the creative part, Chris ~ not his thing and Taite was on the couch, so Bray and I stayed away from him. :D
Here is the "blank slate" better known as the turkey body:
I wanted to get started on the feathers, but Bray wanted to get the hunting vest done first. We added some clear crystal type things and "sewed" them on and taped the wire we used to the back, so they won't fall off.
We weren't sure how to go about making the camo feathers. Did we color one big sheet and then cut out the feathers? No, that looked terrible. We used construction paper and colored on the different colors so we didn't have to color quite so much.
I just received today a Land's End catalog and pictured the floppy/furry boots on the feet of our turkey. The problem ~ the really large and odd shaped feet on this turkey! We cut out the boot picture because we knew we wanted that and then I said "Oh ~ I know! I have these fake leaf cutouts and we can put them on the bottom of the paper to look like he's standing in a pile of leaves!" Brayton laughed because I got so excited and gasped when I thought of the brilliant idea ~LOL! The leaves were just something I'd picked up at a garage sale, not having a plan for them, so it was perfect!
After we cut out the boot picture, the fur was kind of lost in the big turkey picture, so we added some fake fur that I had in my sewing room! They added a whole new dimension and texture to the picture!
We made the beak out of card stock and it sticks out of the picture and the waddle is made from rick-rack. I had forgotten about the red hangy-downy thing, but Bray remembered. Oh and the hat Brayton made up himself as I had some orange paper that I'd cut out with scalloped scissors and he even cut out a little extra on the sides for where the hat would be rolled up. The kid really remembers the details!

Here he is with the final product! Look at that smile ~ he kept asking me "Mom, don't you like my turkey? I bet it will be the best one in my class!" (I may have eluded to that since we ARE such a good team!) Be sure to click on the picture to enlarge it so you can see the gun Bray drew and we used yard as the strap for the gun. If you enlarge it, be sure to look for his front tooth peeking through ~ it's been a long time comin'!

Here is how the caption reads (they had to write about their turkey as if it was the turkey talking):
Here is how the caption reads (they had to write about their turkey as if it was the turkey talking):
I am NOT a Turkey! (this is provided)
by Brayton
Hey! I'm not a turkey I hunt the turkey.
I'm wearing my hunting boots, hat, and
vest so I'm ready to catch me a turkey.
So run along I may only have one
Thanksgiving left.
With that said, I am tired because I couldn't fall back asleep right away this morning so I'll catch some zzz's while Jay is on. . . Good night!

LOVE the Hunting turkey Lisa and Brayton! Very creative! You two do make a GREAT team! I'll have to remember all these good ideas for when Mikayla gets old enough to do projects like this in school!! Hope Taite is feeling better.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Jen