So yesterday was kind of a busy day. . .
I helped out in Brayton & Taite's classrooms. I was able to chat a little with Mrs. Bendzick (Brayton's teacher) before I started helping. We laughed over Brayton telling me that Mrs. Bendzick's "wife" helped them paint on Thursday :-) We also talked about how well he reads (Brayton, not her husband). She said he just LOVES chapter stories! I had no idea. . . We have chapter stories at home, but not so many for a 1st graders level, I guess. Then she said the AR books (this is kind of a challenge thing for the kids ~ in their free time, they can read a book 3 times and then
take a test on the book, if they answer the questions correctly, they pass 1 AR test and when Taite was in 1st grade, the goal was 10. . .Brayton has passed 6 already and they have only been in school 5 weeks) so anyway, she said that the AR books are not challenging for him at all. I said whenever he is reading out loud to me and comes to a word I am sure he will stumble on, he doesn't! She said she tries to challenge him in the classroom and can't either ~ so it just goes to show that both our boys are geniuses! :-) Here is a picture of him in his classroom working away.
In Taite's classroom I had to time them on accurate and speed reading for 1 minute. I laughed when Taite's friend asked me if he was supposed to read out loud :-) What I did in Brayton's classroom and Taite's classroom really opens my eyes as far as we take their ability to do their school work without problems for granted! I wish I could volunteer more to give more personal attention to the little ones who you can tell don't get it at home :-(
When I got home from my morning activities, Chris headed over to my grandma's house because they tore off the old shingles on part of the house and all of the garage. Today they will shingle it and the weather is certainly cooperating! We just have to be certain that Home Depot was sure when they said they'd deliver the shingles today. . .
Last night Chris and I took the boys to the Homecoming game in Byron. It was supposed to be a sure win, but that didn't happen. Not that the boys noticed! Chris has never been to a game up in Byron and he's never seen so many kids running around. Remember, Wessington: 100 kids per K-12; Byron: 120 per grade! Plus that doesn't include the preschool ages running around. He was a little stressed out trying to keep track of them, but we all returned home safely. I know you'll find this hard to believe, but the girls were chasing Taite and Brayton had made some older boys mad and they were chasing him. . . Ah, and we've only just begun!

No comments:
Post a Comment