I am kind of glad today is close to being over. . . Chris and I have been talking about putting large rocks around the shed to alleviate some of the erosion. Well, today was the windiest day we have had in a long time, so what better day than today to fight with long rolls of large sheets of plastic?! It was kind of a challenge, but once we got some of the larger stones set on it, we filled in here and there. We will eventually fill in even more, but with much smaller rocks. We would never have been able to do this today if my dad and his skid loader weren't here! We cleaned out just two of the rock piles that lay on the outskirts of the fields surrounding our house! I tried to keep the shed door in the one picture so you can get some sense of how big some of these rocks were.

Chris had to manhandle all of the rocks and get the best placement (for the ones he could pick up) and for the others, the skid loader placed them and wiggled them in so they would stay put. I'm also glad we didn't have to pay for these! I have no idea how many tons they would weigh. Dad and Chris did have to go visit the "Mother Rock" when they were out and about. When we built our house, there was a rock that was found when the terrace was built and the
dozer could've pushed it up in our yard, or down in the brush
waaaayyyy down the hill. It is now way down the hill because I was not going to have any big rock like that in my yard (this is according to my dad that I said this, but I don't remember). Granted, I don't know what I would've done with a rock larger than our kitchen, but it certainly would've started a lot of conversations! Chris thinks it's 7-8 feet tall and at least that in diameter. Now they dream about how to get it out of the tall grass and shrubs.


It's not just because of the rock project that I am glad for the day to be done (after all, Chris is the one who may not be able to take enough Tylenol to sleep tonight. . .) oh no, it all began when I needed to make supper. Since my dad helped us all day, we fed him and my mom. Between my mom and I we were going to make a chicken, broccoli, rice and cheese casserole, fresh bread and a cake. I thought she had a recipe for this casserole (she makes it all the time) but no recipe today, so we made it up as we went and I almost forgot the cheese. I put this in the oven and after it had been in there for 15 minutes (it was in late as it was) Chris realized I didn't even have the oven on!!!! So, I bumped up the temp by 25 degrees hoping I didn't burn it. When we finally sat down to supper, I had put some casserole on Taite's plate to cool it off and went to set it down just as he was scooting his chair up and I hit him in the head with the plate right on his eyebrow bone! I felt terrible and he cried all through the prayer (okay, that was only like 10 seconds, but he was crying nonetheless). My dad asked if we ate honey and I said "sure, did you want some?" Oh, of course he did and so did
Brayton, but could I find any? NO! Well, we did have one small packet from a restaurant and I have no idea where it came from, nor how long we have had it (it didn't pour right out like it should ~ but we all know, dad ate it anyway!) :-)Then Taite was helping to clean off the table and dropped a glass as he was carrying it to the kitchen and it shattered all over the floor. When mom & dad went to leave, we were (well, three of us were) walking them to the door when Chris accidentally elbowed Brayton right in his eye, so we should be getting a call from the social worker tomorrow at school because our kids' faces are all swollen and bruised. . .
This evening it just seemed that no matter what, things were not going in the right direction! At least the bread turned out for the most part (I had to bake it in the toaster oven since the casserole was in the regular oven and one round was a little doughy and one was burnt on the bottom). Okay, so at least we can be thankful all of the bad stuff happened in the house and not when we were dealing with heavy rock ~ we could very well be in the ER tonight!
And we created some memories, such that they are. . .
Wow! The mother rock sounds huge! I bet your boys love it. Matthew gets so excited when he gets to play on rocks..funny how they love the simple things. I would send them out with finger paint and let them put some art on it. I bet you all slept well!
ReplyDelete