Sunday, October 26, 2008

Hidy Ho~

Looks like we are up for another windy day. Not my kind of weather ~ messes up the hair! LOL

Well, I know everyone is wondering (actually those who knew about them) and Brayton has survived his 2 back-to-back birthday parties from yesterday. He has a cold, so I had my doubts as well, but we made him go to bed early on Friday (with the coughing he didn't fall asleep until 9:30, though) and I had him lay down (for quiet time) before leaving for the parties. The first party was a Halloween party/Birthday party and even the parents were dressed up! They had 14 kids (all at their house) and it looked crazy! Bray of course had a good time and his second party was at JETS (it's a gymnastics place and they do birthday parties). For one flat fee (depending on the number of kids invited), you just show up and they do everything, oh wait, you do have to provide the guest list so they can mail out the invites. It sounded like a great deal but when another mother and I figured out for the party that Brayton went to (they invited the whole class) it cost $245! Even for 10 or less kids, the fee was $190. So, I guess we'll stick to the smaller parties (6-8 kids) and just make do with the stuff at our house! Anyway, Brayton was covered in blue frosting and I know he had a good time because he talked all the way home and continued to talk until we put him to be around 7. He didn't come up for breakfast until 7:30 this morning, so I'm not sure when he woke up but there was no coughing so he must have slept most of that time and gotten over his cold for the most part.

When Bray was partying, Taite played Wii Madden Football. It's his latest "thing". They play at recess after lunch and he asks us often if we think he'll be good at football or if he'll be able to play in the pros. I don't dash his hopes, but I try to stress how difficult it is to play in the NFL ;-) In researching Taite's suggested reading level of books, we had some Ramona books (some of you grandma's / grandpa's might not remember LOL) and Taite's teacher said that author also writes some "boy" books similar to Ramona. Well, again, I told Taite he could read what we had and I thought he'd like them, but he was reluctant (much like the time we bought the boys the 3 Stooges movies and they didn't want them because they weren't in color ~ I was right! They loved the movies!). So, I digress, Taite LOVES the Ramona books and is on his second one. The first story he came to me laughing to say that she was really mad and was going to say a swear word. . . "guts". So she said "Guts, guts, guts, guts". He thought that was so funny! To keep him (and Brayton) reading we have some reading on the big couch downstairs before bedtime. Brayton can finally read silently, so it works well and Taite thinks it's cool to spend time with me reading. Last night I had a little trouble staying awake, so I just turned to the side and closed my eyes a little ~ he caught me! Oh yea, I forgot to mention that while I was chauferring Brayton from party to party, Taite was helping Chris get more rocks for the side of the shed when Chris let him drive the "new" tractor. He was BEAMING when I got home! This is what he told me "It was finally nice to get outside and drive something!" LOL!!!

Guess what? (we were giving Brayton grief last night because that's how he started every sentence when talking about his parties) :-) The boys had dentist appts on Friday and NO CAVITIES!!! Taite, the opportunist, wanted to know then what they got for having no cavities. . . I told him a lot of praise from me and Chris :-) Well, we had to get presents for Bray's parties, so we ended up buying Pokemon cards for the boys. I figure the $10 I spent on them is FAR cheaper than what fillings cost!

Today we are off to Grandma's (Linda) house to make warm lefse and visit with Karen and Roger (my aunt and uncle from Texas are here for my Grandma's/her mother's birthday). The plan is to eat the lefse until it's gone because it's only good right off the griddle! We'll send Taite off with a tractor to take some to Chris since he'll probably be helping my dad combine corn again today. Hopefully lukewarm will also be good :-)

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny! Matthew is a really good reader too. But it has been hard for him to grasp reading silently. He just started reading to himself (kind of..he still reads outloud just quiter with some books) I am glad to hear you say that about Brayton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you can't edit your comments so I can't fix my spelling error.

    ReplyDelete