Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Just thoughts. . .

Have I ever mentioned what I used to thing blogs entailed? (before I read Monica's that is) I envisioned college students typing about their hangovers and sucky classes and basic stuff that no one really cared about. I'm so glad that Monica opened my eyes and showed me how it can really be a tool for keeping in touch with those not so close to us ~ distance-wise (and those of you who are close, but we don't "chat" every day). I must admit, however, that I do have moments some days when I think "this would be a perfect thought to peruse on the blog" in a fashion more like the Coffee Talk on SNL ~ you remember, right? The host (I don't even remember who it was) would get 'verclempt' (not sure on the spelling) and would give the audience a topic to "discuss amongst yourselves". Not that I could really get a discussion going on a blog ~ a little too one-sided, although, I'd pretty much have to agree with what was discussed LOL (get it? I'd be the only one with input!) Anyway, today I have one of those moments. Do you ever get to talking to people and you wonder "am I normal or is everyone else normal and I'm the only weird one because I really don't feel like I fit in"? Okay, so yes, maybe I am the only one who thinks like that sometimes, but today my thought is this. . . Do you do things out of the goodness of your heart just because it makes you feel good, or is it okay to expect something in return? I tend to think that I am more the type to want to help out for no other reason than it makes me feel good and to ask for something in return is, how shall I put it. . . rude! Here's a scenario and let me know what you think:
Say a person has an item they need like, oh, I don't know, a turntable for their microwave (the current one broke almost in half, out of the blue). And lets just say that this person 'L' (we'll use for simplicity) called a Recycling Center where microwaves come in to be disposed of but they don't save the turntables (apparently they only recycle the electrical stuff?). Anyway, a relative of person 'L', person 'C', knows someone who works in the RC, person 'M'. Person 'M' says she'll keep an eye out for a replacement turn table and upon finding the right one (surprise, surprise ~ not really, if you saw the wall of stacked up microwaves in this place, you'd be surprised there was a waiting period) person 'M' asks person 'C' for compensation. Now person 'C' is not the end requester, he is just a middle person and since they were prior acquaintances/friends, wouldn't you think person 'M' would say "hey, glad to be of help!" Am I way off base here?

Now, back to the "normal" blog stuff (at least for me). I picked Baby up from her spaying and she's doing well. There are some stitches that have to come out in 7 - 10 days that I'm hoping Steph can help us with because I'm not sure I can.

Chris is getting ready to go to Japan on Saturday and today we tried to find some dress clothes. The hard part about this is he goes to Japan maybe once a year, so spending $100's on suits is hard to swallow. Today was our lucky day though ~ we happened to be driving by Goodwill and Chris said "what do you think the chances are that they'd have anything?" Well, they did! He got a black suit coat (good brand name, according to Grandma) for $10.99 and some pants that need just an inch alteration for $5.99! Now all we have to do is have them dry cleaned and for the fraction of a new suit, Chris has something that looks just like it was made for him! My kind of shopping!! I'm finally getting him trained :~)

3 comments:

  1. I felt like that all day yesterday. I know it was a historic event and I admire that. I just don't get the putting someone on a pedestal like that. I kept wondering if I was the only one who was not into it.
    As for the whole microwave thing....that is just odd, some people are just wierd. That is what I think.
    Yeah you on the suit thing. What is the weather like in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, no you weren't (yesterday)! Chris donated blood and I waited in the waiting area (can't donate ~ pass out) and they had their TV set to the inauguration PLUS they had it set for the people 2 buildings over! It was sooo loud! I played free cell on the computer (Chris got a 2 lb laptop that is super cute and fits in my purse ~ well, I had to get a little bigger one so it could, but it's still cute)

    It's around 40's - 50's in Japan, so not too bad. He checked the weather here next week and it's going to be cold again! I thought one week was plenty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Linda Richman from coffee talk!! Not to be confused with Delicious Dish with Teri and Margaret Jo. Just remember when discussing Delicious Dish -- NO WHISPERING!!!!

    ReplyDelete