Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Taite's 1st Basketball "session" (we'll call it)

Tonight Taite started basketball. It's for the 3rd & 4th grades combined. I'm not sure how the teams are divided, but apparently there is one team that has a few traveling basketball players (4th grade) and are really good. They have practice time to go over fundamentals for the first 1/2 hour and then they "play" a game. 1/2 way through the game playing time, the coaches tried to slow it down a bit and go over more skills while playing, but that didn't last for long. The team Taite's team played was quite aggressive, I thought. At one point, Taite did steal the ball away and when the kid he stole it from, tried to take it back, he hung onto it! I was impressed because I thought he'd just let it go, but he gave back to them what they were dishing out. Shortly after that, though, his classmate/friend who was on the other team was knocked down and Taite hung back a little to make sure he was okay ~ that's my boy :~) The only bad part about this is they play from 7-8 at night, which is about 8:30 by the time we get home. This wouldn't be so bad for Taite, but tonight Chris had a business dinner and I had dropped Bray off at my mom & dad's and after we left, they found they didn't have key to our house (that they could find) so Brayton didn't get to bed until late too. Not so good since he was whiney and crabby before supper even!

I had to take Baby for her booster shot today, so I picked the boys up from school and I have to say, I still don't understand their system ~ well, I understand it, it's just part of it I don't agree with WHAT-SO-EVER!!! I'll try my best to describe the setup: There is a lane for cars to circle around and pick up kids at the curb in front of the one wing of the school. There is also parking in this area so if you don't want to "drive through" then you can get out of your car and wait for the child you are picking up. As a pedestrian, you can't cross the "drive through" (DT for short from here on out) lane, and the kids are directed by the Nazi Traffic Cop (not the only one who thinks so) when to cross the DT lane. This sounds all good, except, the kids are not allowed to cross until the kids are found and placed into the first 5 cars in line. . . see where I'm going with this? So, the first person in line, may not have their kid come out of the school right away and everyone waits until they are loaded to go(in the case today the kid wasn't out, then the vehicle was a truck, so the driver had to get out, go around, buckle in the kid and then re-enter the vehicle to leave). It's just so frustrating because the pedestrians could actually "have the right away", as in most public situations, but they have to wait for awhile until the first 5 cars leave and then the next cars pull up. This still doesn't make any sense to me ~ the kids could be crossing while most of the vehicles are parked ~ yes, they wait so long in line, most cars are turned off and in park. If ever you were going to have a problem with the pedestrians crossing, it will be when the 2nd group of cars (doesn't want to hold up the line!) is in a hurry and forgets to put it into park or their foot slips off the break. Unfortunately, I've brought up my concerns and was met with a "gentle pat on the head" so to speak, so you get to read about it on my blog! THANKS! I feel so much better now ~~ LOL

2 comments:

  1. I get it! how about drop off when all the really bright parents stop way back instead of pulling up to the front of the sidewalk and making room for more cars???? I have to bite my lip everytime I do drop off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a blog for you. I love the coffee Cozy!!!!!

    http://blissbyheather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete