Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Welcome to the Future

Today my grandma got me thinkin'. When I took her mail and paper she said that yesterday I brought her bad news. She sees it as bad news, but me, not so much.

A woman she had graduated with in 1934 had written to tell her that she fell in her apartment in April. She laid there for 15 hours on the cold floor before someone found her. This woman did suffer 3 broken ribs and spinal injuries, but had surgery and is now learning how to walk with a walker. She had her son look up Grandma's address on the Internet so she could write to her and let her know this happened to her. She said her handwriting wasn't what it used to be so she hoped that Grandma could still read her letter.

Grandma sent a reply to that lady right away today. What will it be like when I'm in my early 90's trying to keep in touch with my friends? I wonder if I won't have to worry about my handwriting because I will type everything (kind of what I do now). Will I still be able to type then? One thing my Grandma said that surprised me was that she had 57 (I think) in her graduating class at Chatfield! In 1934, (again, not so sure on the year) that seemed like a large class! Now, sadly enough, Grandma said she thinks it's just her and this other woman who are still alive. Will that be different for us? As the life expectancy extends further and further, at 93 will I have 20 classmates still around? 30 classmates? 5? Will FaceBook still be a source of communication for us? I just wonder. . .

Brad Paisley's song 'Welcome to the Future' reminds me of Grandma's situation now ~ did she think this is how it would be??

As a side note, the women on Grandma's side of the family have lived past 100 years! So I probably will see a lot more of the 'future' than others!

No comments:

Post a Comment