Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Read when you've got a minute :-)

Okay, so on Monday, Chris left for his business trip to Chicago/Michigan and he's supposed to return tomorrow (pray the weather holds off!) Taite had his last basketball practice/scrimmage Monday night. It was at 7, so my mom came over to put Bray to bed at his normal time (I fed her too, so it was somewhat worth it on her part, even if the soup was lukewarm ~ oops :) When Brayton got home from School, I did snap a few pictures of his smile (note the front tooth). I cannot do the teeth pulling thing. I have to cover my ears because it just gives me goosebumps thinking about it! You can imagine how gross I thought his tooth was like this! I think he was a little upset by that but it stuck out at such an odd angle! He slept with it like that and on Tuesday morning wanted it pulled out because he couldn't each much at school the day before because of his tooth (I imagine he was afraid to bite down on anything. . .think about it ~ never knowing what was crunchy in what Cheese Quisadilla) I was going to have coffee with Monica, so I told him if he wanted it pulled we'd have to stop at Grandma's house (she could've just pulled it the night before since she was at our house) so she could pull it (while I covered my ears, of course) The tooth came out very easily and there wasn't even much blood because it was so loose.



Here is his smile after pulling that tooth: Kinda looks like a pumpkin smile, but he doesn't like it when we say that.
Coffee with Monica was great! We get together when one of our hubby's is gone (usually it's mine LOL) and we never run out of things to talk about. We had to have coffee on Tuesday because I happened to glance at my calendar and had almost forgotten about Brayton's doctors appointment scheduled for this morning at 8:30! Boy am I glad we went. . . he saw the ENT (quite a character! Mon, I wish I'd had my camera, a picture of Bray with his Dr. would've been so like you) :) to see if his adenoids were swollen. He did a series of things (looked in places, had Bray try to breathe through his nose for a whole minute, etc.) to see if he had the signs of swollen adenoids and then we went for an x-ray. I wish they would've given us a copy. . . it was amazing how little space there was in the nasophayngeal airway (looked it up on the Internet). I'd say there might have been a 1/4 of an inch is all that the air was passing through. There was some fluid on his ears, so the Dr. wants to play that one by ear (no pun intended, well, maybe there was ~ it's just so cool to come up with something like that LOL). He said when Bray is in surgery, he'll make an incision in his ear drum and depending on what comes out (sticky, heavy vs. clear, watery) he will or will not put tubes in at that time. So on March 10th he's having a adenoidectomy. He has a couple of pre-op appts next week and then he'll be out of school for a whole week just laying low (good thing he loves to play the games on the computer). After that week, he can go back to school, but no phy-ed or physical activity. And then he'll be a new boy! Hopefully he'll get a full nights sleep and he'll probably grow an inch or two from all the restful sleep he'll get!! Chris and I are, of course, glad to have a solution for Brayton's activity a few weeks ago and his purple under his eyes and lack of sleep (although, for as poor of sleep as you have to assume he gets, he is really a super kid!) We just wish we'd have done this a long time ago. . . how long has he been suffering?? The ironic thing is adenoids are about as big and they will be when a child is around 6 and they start shrinking after that so adults don't really have them anymore. I think it's a sign though that since his are as swollen as they are, they need to be removed. A good note is that his tonsils looked fine, so the Dr. doesn't want to take those out because that is a much more difficult surgery to recover from. We LOVE Dr. Erbach! I'm glad he wants to make sure Bray's hearing hasn't been harmed by this fluid, but he doesn't want to over do it either since it will be worse for Brayton. He also just recommends alternating Tylenol and Advil for pain meds, so we don't have to dope him up with heavier stuff. They said if the alternating doesn't work though, that we can just call in for an Rx. Dr. Erbach is the same Dr. that Taite had when he had his tubes put in. When we took him in to take them out Taite didn't have a clue why we were there, but when Dr. Erbach was done, Taite told him "I hate you" ~ we still loved him because of the tubes our ear infections and trips to the Dr were over!!!

Okay, so I have a couple of new favorite websites. The first one has come about with the illnesses we've had here lately. It's kidshealth.org/kid . It is sooo cool and explains all kinds of stuff about bodies in easy to understand terminology. I know, I'm not a kid and neither are you, but it's still nice to be able to read something as complicated as how our body works/gets sick and not have to think too hard to understand it. LOL My other new fav. was actually brought to me by Monica ~ well, she has it on her blog: www.woot.com They always have a daily special of one item and some days they have a woot-off it's called and that is many items that are super deals, but once they are gone, they move to a different product. It's not so much the deals that I like (I've never bought anything ~ I just go there for a laugh), it's the description of the item. Most of the things they list are techy in nature, so today's woot of a stand-up golf bag, isn't typical, so to that, they provide alternative uses for this stand-up golf bag:
The TaylorMade Tourino Stand Bag is designed to be carried backpack style, with straps and a built-in stand for when you set it down. Yes, it will naturally work with your clubs if you’re a golfer, but you know what else it will hold? Your toy swords. Foam katana, plastic Schweizersäbel, even all those cardboard gift wrap tubes, you’ll fit them all comfortably into the TaylorMade Tourino Golf Bag.

I know you are smiling, so I'll leave you with that smile :) (My favorite comment is about the gift wrap tubes!)


No comments:

Post a Comment