Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hidie-Ho Neighbors!

I know it's been awhile and we've been kind of busy with work. The economy is still impacting us (I think I've mentioned this before) with the imports down and the exports "trying" to rise, it makes a difficult situation for us. So, I'll try to sum up our goings on. . .

This next week (starting on Tuesday ~ no school tomorrow) Brayton is the Star of the Week. Early last week his teacher sent a list of what to send to school: pictures, a pillowcase (their friends all sign it), a stuffed animal. and something for their estimation jar. True to my procrastinating nature, I had to drive the boys to school on Friday (these a/m items were due) because we were just printing pictures on Friday before school. After I got home, I realized I had still forgotten to pack his stuffed animal. Oh well, I'm sure he can bring that on Tuesday. I am excited because his class has stations on next Friday and I haven't gotten to help since February (we were going to go to the March stations, but they were after Bray's surgery and he didn't feel up to it). I do love his class, friends and teacher!

Taite brought home a little booklet thing last week and said I needed to read it before throwing it away (I'm not sure if his teacher helped him with that one or if he came up with it himself ~ I've caused him to have a few warnings because I throw away a piece of paper that he's supposed to use for math practice. . .in my defense, they haven't had to do that until recently, so before, it was garbage!) I did take the time to read what he gave me and he has been invited to participate in a program for not really "gifted" students, but those who the teachers or someone feels has special potential. So, it's not offered to everyone and kind of special. It's expensive, but I think it would be an excellent opportunity especially since it's not offered to everyone. It's at the Kasson/Mantorville school and are mornings only for 1 week in June. There are 2 sessions and a 1/2 hour break in between the sessions. There are various courses he can choose from, so I thought it kind of sounded like college/high school, where they get to pick their classes. I'm jealous of his choices because one of them is CSI!!! They study fabric fibers and something else in the 3/4 grade session (in the 5/6 grade session, they actually study blood spatters!) ~ I wonder if they need a helper??!!

Chris is sick with another cold. I'm calling it one last one before the summer season! We have to hope, don't we? This morning he was in the recliner in the living room and I decided it's not fair that I only bring out the "sick table" for the boys. We have one of those plastic/resin tables that you can adjust the height on and when the boys aren't feeling well, I dig it out and they can put their Kleenexes, bucket, drinks, remotes, etc. all within reach on the table. The "tablecloth" I made for Taite for his How To speech fits perfectly on the "sick table". Chris just felt bad because he thought I was doing everything for him, but shouldn't I? He felt like watching a movie today and after Taite left to go to a friends, we went and watched the movie Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins (wouldn't recommend it). To make Bray not feel so bad that Taite was gone, we made popcorn and he got pop ~ he was happy despite getting the same cold that Chris has, we think. After the movie, I decided to get to work on my light blocking project for the window on the living room downstairs (to make daytime movie watching more enjoyable) :-) While I was working, I heard Brayton come down to watch the UNC basketball game with Chris. It was so cute ~ it was like he wanted to be by Chris, so he joined him with what he was doing. Here's the cutest part. . .he brought down some salted in the shell peanuts to share with Chris. He even remembered the garbage can for the shells and he had a little Winnie the Pooh cup full of peanuts. It's one of those things that brings tears to my eyes because Taite is already beyond that sort of thing. He gets bored and would rather play a computer game by himself instead of just "hang out". Brayton was asking Chris questions about the game and just tried to understand what was going on which was watching UNC win! Chris was happy because that's "his" team and they are now in the final 4.

Yesterday the boys hung out at Grandma & Grandpa's while Chris and I went to town and shopped and kind of looked at stuff. Chris was kind of rejuvenated because we could spend time together OUT of the house :-) We went to a consignment shop that I wanted to stop at and, of course, Chris was the only one who found something! It was a good deal though, so I couldn't complain ~ he found an overcoat by London Fog with a zip out liner for $5! We almost bought one last winter and they were like $80! It was fun to have a leisurely afternoon and all we had to do was provide supper to the baby sitters ~ LOL

Oh, I almost forgot to give the update on Baby (hehe) Last night she had to sleep in the closet (in her kennel) because she wouldn't move so she'd quit snoring :-) Chris felt like crap anyways and then she was noisy, so I had to put her in the closet. It worked fine because we couldn't hear her and she slept soundly, or we assume!

This morning we didn't go to church again. I always feel guilty about that, but then again, they say right in the bulletin, it says to stay home or not shake hands if you aren't feeling well. I was going to go by myself, but I would have to make noise to get ready and Chris slept until 9 this morning trying to feel better. So, instead, I cooked. I made oyster stew so we could use up the oysters in the pantry before summer rolls around and we don't hardly ever have soup. I also made the oyster crackers to go with it (you know the kind that have the Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning and dill weed on them ~ excellent with the soup!) and broccoli salad for lunch. Then I even had time to exercise before we ate ~ I was kind of busy this morning. As we were eating, it dawned on me how lucky or strange, however you want to look at it, that Chris and I both like oyster stew and the boys both like it and they DO eat the oysters! I wouldn't say that is common now days!

So anyway, I would like to end on a good note. . . tonight I noticed at 8:03 pm, it was still a little light out!! So, even though we have blizzards and snow in the near forecast, it won't last much longer. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment